Tuesday, October 7, 2008

100 Years of Broadway

The five Broadway stars of Neil Berg's 100 Years of Broadway hit the BCPA stage last Friday, October 3, to delight the audience with two hours of Broadway's greatest hits.

And what a range of songs they sang.

From "Give My Regards to Broadway," taken from George Cohan's 1906 hit Little Johnny Jones to songs from the 2006 tuners Jersey Boys and Grumpy Old Men, the show had a little something for everyone ... unforgettable memories from the Great White Way.

The audience loved it. Here's one response from Susan Brown I thought was representative of the evening ...

I was one of the people fortunate enough to attend Neil Berg's 100 Years of Broadway on Friday night. I've never been to a musical on Broadway, but Friday night, I felt as though I had been a part of the experience. I had goose-bumps through most of the first act. The talent presented was fantastic!!! I had second row, left, seats and couldn't have asked for a better spot. While I enjoyed the singers, the greatest thrill I got was out of watching Neil Berg playing the piano. His passion for what he was doing clearly came through in his playing. He obviously LOVES what he does. To be able to earn a living doing what you love to do must be so fulfilling. You provided this 60-year married woman and her 88-year old mother with an evening they will never forget. Having such professional talent available (at such reasonable prices) to the citizens of Bloomington/Normal is such a treat. When I moved here 20 years ago from Southern California, I thought I'd dropped off the cultural map. The BCPA has certainly restored my belief that culture can, and does, exist beautifully between the two coasts. Kudos to you all.

Thank you for providing Bloomington/Normal the opportunity to enjoy and witness talent of this caliber. I will be first in line, should you bring them back again next year.


Were you there? Tell us about your experience. Would you also like to see more shows like this return to the BCPA?

No comments: