Thursday, April 10, 2008

US Army Band "Pershing's Own"

One of the most anticipated performances this spring at the BCPA, the U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own" delivered a spectacular performance to a capacity crowd last night. A thrilling concert filled with American anthems, classical selections, marches, and Broadway hits, the band delivered what was promised, a rousing night of big brass sound joyous enough to bring out the Meredith Willson in everyone.

Here's what our patrons are saying:
The U.S. Army Band concert was terrific. I hated for the evening to end. I saw all of the Service bands when I lived in Washington, D.C. and never tired of seeing and hearing them. They are the finest musicians in the world. I hope they will return to the BCPA.

-- Delores Gillian
_________________________________

There are really no words to describe the US Army Band's concert this past week. What a wonderful performance - the music, commentary, venue, and musicians were superb. I took my two children so that they could experience a group of musicians dedicated to both our country and great music. We all walked away with a renewed sense of patriotism and love of our country.

-- Barb Nielsen
_________________________________

What a terrific concert performed by the U. S. Army Band. No one could have asked (or expected) anything more. I especially enjoyed the song entitled "The Girl in 14G" — what a clever, funny arrangement sung by a superb singer. I was surprised, however, that there were some empty seats. I thought all the tickets had been "sold" out. I can't imagine why anyone would not attend (having received free tickets) short of a family emergency. It was a wonderful night of entertainment. We got a special surprise when the wife of the conducter walked out into the crowd and chatted with us during intermission. Our son graduated from West Point but was not there during the same time period as the conductor. Anymore military bands available to perform in Bloomington-Normal? Invite them all!

-- Don Cavallini

_________________________________

Last night Robbi Muir and I had the pleasure and honor to see and listen to the United States Army Band "Pershing's Own". This was possibly the greatest musical event I have attended since coming to Bloomington in 1992.

The band was 70 strong plus included 16 Herald Trumpets and over 25 Army Chorus singers.
Their performance included everything from The Call of the Champions by John Williams, to the Gladiator by Sousa, to the Grand Russian Fantasia, featuring Staff Sgt. Troy McKay on trumpet (a graduate of ISU), to When Johnny Comes Marching Home, to a wonderful Suite for Jazz Saxophones including their fantastic 5 Sax soloists.


There were many other moving and terrific numbers ending with a Service Medley honoring all the former military and military families in the audience.

The SOLD OUT Audience gave the group several roaring standing ovations.

This wonderful ensemble is based at Fort Myer in Arlington, Virginia. The group plays a vital role in music education, often serving as the featured group at prominent music conferences and conventions throughout the nation and abroad. They also play around the Washington DC area to honor dignitaries, heads of state, diplomats and high ranking military officers.

After performing at Millikin the Alma Mata of its leader Col. Thomas Rotondi, Jr. it will rush back to Washington to perform for the Pope.

The talent level in this group of musicians and singers is astounding. As their announcer said any of them could stand before the band and solo.

Every member is enlisted as a Sergeant and does not go through the normal Army basic training. They are truly a master musician or singer working for the army much like a medical doctor who is recruited for their talent in medicine.

Salary for a beginning grade Sergeant is over $21,000 a year plus pension, food, housing, uniforms, medical and they can continue their education while in the military. It seems to me that for an outstanding musician or singer who wants to play rather then teach, the military bands are a wonderful opportunity.

I don't know of too many musicians who are earnings such salary and benefits trying to play as an independent musician, forgetting about the GI Bill.

A special thank you to former HJO board member Bruce Marquis and his staff for bringing to Bloomington such wonderful entertainment. Also a big thanks to the Pantagraph who sponsored the event and made the tickets available at no charge.
-- Bruce Gold VP Heartland Jazz Orchestra

_________________________________

Fantastic concert!!--as always with the military bands. I am a band director and drove 2 hr 15 min to see them, along with a couple of my band students and families. More would have come except for school activity conflicts. I would encourage you to schedule them when you can in the future. Also, any chance of getting James Galway-flutist- on your program? I teach private flute and would love to hear him this close, or if not him, maybe another top artist or flute choir, etc.

I am an IWU graduate and applaud you for what you are doing with the Performing Arts Center.
-- Angela Lipcamon

_________________________________

It is difficult to find the right words to convey how wonderful the performance by the US Army Band was...especially the 2nd half of the program. What talent there was...every musician, every singer, even the speaker and the director were excellent. I especially liked the trumpets! The music moved me to tears several times. And seeing the large American flag draped across the back of the stage was all that was needed to convey the message of the evening...what a blessing it is to live in the United States of America. I have attended several productions at the BCFA...everything from the Symphony, to taking my class of 1st graders to attend shows and plays. I have NEVER been disappointed. I sincerely appreciate all who are involved in choosing and presenting the programs. How lucky we are to have this venue in our community. Thank you so very much.
-- Phyllis Pederson
_________________________________


Thank you for a wonderful evening of great music. We always sit in the balcony and find the view wonderful but the seats too cramped for 6'2. We tried downstairs and loved the extra leg room and I (4'11") didn't have anyone tall in front of me. Even if I had, the wonderful music would have made it still a great evening. We come often to BCPA and love the way it looks in all its glory. Again - wonderful program - just one of many.
--Carol G
_________________________________

My friends and I who attended the concert loved it! It made us feel so proud to be an American! What tremendous talent with both the band and the singers. I know that several people around me were moved to tears by some of the numbers as was I. I have been telling everyone I saw today what a wonderful concert that was! The gentleman with me is not fond of concerts, and didn't know what to expect. He was SO impressed and enjoyed it very much! He thanked me over and over for getting the tickets. He said he would never have gone to something like that on his own, but he was so glad he could be there and experience it. He is a veteran and was very touched by the tribute to veterans. Please have our military bands back to the Center again! It was just great!
-- Joann Heidloff
_________________________________

You couldn't have brought a better performance to B/N - thanks so much!!!!
-- Sue Miller
_________________________________

Our group of eight thoroughly enjoyed last night's presentation by the U. S. Army Band. I remarked that I don't know where you could possibly find a finer free show anywhere! Selections were varied and interesting and all well received by the full house audience. I particularly enjoyed the men's chorus and their rousing renditions! Thanks to all who made this evening memorable and outstanding.
-- Robert Gatrell
_________________________________

It was an outstanding concert last night – I had not heard the Army band before. A much better concert that I anticipated.

However…

Our seats were in row NN in the balcony, the first row behind the rail. I had the choice of seeing the choir and percussionists, or the front part of the band. Most theaters or stadiums would advertise these seats as limited viewing. I was glad that this was a musical event rather than a stage production that would have required a good view to appreciate the work. I learned my lesson the hard way.
--Bob Fisher

(NOTE: Thanks for your comments about the band ... and the seating. We know the space is limited in the upper balcony and our box office staff does their best to share the limitations of the space with any patron sitting up there. If that communication didn't happen, I'm sorry. In the case of this sold-out performance, we did the best we could to simply put bodies into any available seat and maximize the number of people who could attend. I hope the quality of the show made up for the cramped room in those last two rows.)

No comments: