Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tim Reynolds and TR3

It's safe to say, it shredded!

Tim Reynolds -- Dave Matthews collaborator and guitar god! -- reunited with his trio TR3 for an amazing night of funk, rock, blues, and just about anything else you could imagine.

The enthusiastic crowd of just under 600 people heard Tim with Mick Vaughn on bass and Dan Martier on drums perform a number of original compositions and absolutely fantastic covers of acts including Neil Young, James Brown, and the Doobie Brothers.

Check out those videos below. More video clips from the concert can be found here.

"Ohio"



"Jesus Is Just Alright"



"Sex Machine"



A much different set list than what you've heard on his acoustic duo tours and CDs with Dave Matthews, it was great to hear what he can do plugged in with his old mates. Like with his acoustic, he can make the guitar do things you never dreamed were possible.

Were you there? What did you think? Write a review to me here (jaalberts@artsblooming.org) and I'll post it to the site.

PATRON COMMENTS
I mixed this fun one at the Bloomington Center for Performing Arts. Tim and his band were a treat to work for and a super talented three piece band to mix. THANKS!) I wish I had my camera to savor the moment, but I didn't know about Tim's "open taping policy" until after mixing the FOH show seen above (THANK YOU jaalberts for the box seat view). I asked Tim after the show why he didn't want me to mic James Brown and he said, "He never worked before tonight, we weren't quite sure what to do. When he was given to us someone said he was broken. What did you do to him?" Someone on the crew said that they changed the batteries and we all had a good laugh.
-Todd "Igor" Ward

Tim and trio rocked. I would love to see more shows like this at BCPA. He gave me chills with some of the guitar solos, and it was refreshing to see such a show locally! Usually I have to hit CHI or STL to catch a similar show. Keep it up! Just wish the crowd was a little looser.
-Alison Brandow

I enjoyed the Tim Reynolds concert. After seeing him play along side Dave Matthews for years it was nice to see his solo act. I would like to see more artists like Tim come through Bloomington. I found out about the show when I drove by the performing arts center and caught Reynolds name out of the corner of my eye. With two universities in town the show could have been advertised more around the campuses.
-Zack Wolfe

(Marketing note: Lots of advertising was done at both IWU and ISU. If anyone reading this knows of a venue where we aren't advertising, but should, email me at jaalberts@artsblooming.org. We're planning to do more programming of this sort next year and we definitely want to get the word out.)

No comments: